Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Introducing: Anneke Jacoba

 One week ago today, we welcomed the newest member of our family, Anneke Jacoba.  She arrived 8 days early, and weighed in at 8lbs 1oz at 20.5" long.  It was a fairly fast labour and delivery, but not quite as fast as Hendrik's.  From start to finish, it was almost exactly 7 hours (I woke up at 5:15am, and she was born at 12:08pm).  Our midwives, Shannon and Georgia, were great and supportive, and we had a much more positive interaction with the nurses (except for one) at the hospital this time. 
First hours of life with daddy.
 Anneke received quite a bit of attention from the Pediatric staff at St Joe's because her breathing seemed to be somewhat laboured, but within 12 hours of birth it had almost all cleared up and just before the 24 hour mark, we were cleared to go home. 
My two babies.
When we found out that we were expecting with Hendrik, Anneke was the first name that we chose for a girl, and it only took us about 10 minutes to decide that, so we were pleased to be able to use it this time!  Brian's Oma vanOosten was an Anneke, and my mom's oldest sister, who was somewhat of a 'grandma' to me since my grandma was quite a bit older than most of my friends' grandmas, is an Anne. Jacoba is Brian's mom's middle name, and my dad, of course, is Jacob. 
Grandma and her second granddaughter!
Hendrik seems to be resigned to the fact that there is now a baby living in his house, but he is already starting to act out more in order get some attention, though I do try to give him as much positive attention as possible.  Hopefully the transition won't be too long, but I can see that we're about to enter the 2-year old stage, and I'm just not sure if I'm up for that yet!  ;)  It is understandable that he is out of sorts, though:  New baby + less mommy + new teeth + new room + approaching 2 years old = a force to be reckoned with! 
Hendrik and Anneke

2 comments:

Rhea said...

Anneke is beautiful, precious little addition to your family--you are so blessed!

Marya said...

Aww...beautiful child! Great pictures!!